Forman’s Smoked Salmon Carving Knife and Kit
There’s nothing like carving your own smoked salmon. Our carving kits make memorable gifts for foodie friends.
A specialist smoked salmon knife, tweezers to remove pin bones and sapele hardwood board to make your task easier. A fantastic gift, especially of you include a side of smoked salmon.
The rosewood-handled knife is the same we use in the smokehouse. Boards are made of sapele, a tropical hardwood.
Watch a video of a day in the life of our smokery below
How to carve a whole, untrimmed side of smoked salmon
1. Gripping the fin under the collar bone with one hand, cut off the fin and bone and discard.
2. From the top down to the tail, trim along both edges of the salmon, working around the fin.
3. Guide the smoked salmon knife tightly under the rib cage and remove all the bones.
4. Trim all the outer layer from the tail to the head.
5. Run your fingers along the middle of the fish to feel for the pin bones, remove them using pliers, pulling in the direction they protude to prevent breakage.
6. Slice the salmon laterally using a smooth sawing action from head to tail, ensuring the knife is very sharp for thinner slices.
The outer layer trimmings from Step 4 are perfect blitzed for use in pates.